Back to school highlights 2012|
Posted 8/16/2012 Updated 8/16/2012
by Lisa M. Thompson
48th Mission Support Group School Liaison Office
8/16/2012 - ROYAL AIR FORCE LAKENHEATH, England -- Ready or not, the school year is about to kick-off. Here are some reminders for parents of school-age children in the RAFs Lakenheath, Mildenhall and Feltwell area to help set the tone for a smooth start to the new school year.
Important start dates
· The first day of school for Department of Defense Dependents Schools grades 1 - 12 and Pre School Child Development is Aug. 27.
· The first day of school for DoDDS kindergarten is Sept. 4.
· 1st day of school for DoDDS Sure Start is Thursday, September 13.
· U.K. schools: Suffolk County, Cambridgeshire County and Norfolk County schools start during the week of Sept. 3. Check with your respective school for details.
New student orientations (DoDDS)
· Lakenheath Elementary School - Aug. 21 at 4 p.m.
· Feltwell Elementary School - Aug. 20 at 10 a.m.
· Liberty Intermediate School - Aug. 20 at 1 p.m.
· Lakenheath Middle School - Aug. 20 at 2 p.m.
· Lakenheath High School - Freshman Academy, Aug. 24 from 8:30 a.m. - noon. Campus tour for all new students including freshmen from 1 - 2 p.m. Lunch provided for all new students from noon - 1 p.m.
Open houses (DoDDS)
· Lakenheath Elementary School - Sept. 6 from 4 - 5:30 p.m.
· Liberty Intermediate School - Sept. 5 from 5 - 6 p.m.
· Feltwell Elementary School - Sept. 5 from 5 - 6 p.m.
· Lakenheath Middle School - Aug. 30 from 5 - 6:30 p.m.
· Lakenheath High School - Sept. 18 from 4 - 6 p.m.
Lakenheath Elementary School will notify parents of their child's teacher assignment via e-mail and will post at the school Aug. 24 after 4 p.m. The message will include what building to report to and where the teacher will meet students on the first day.
For Feltwell Elementary School and Liberty Intermediate School, teacher assignments will be posted outside the school on Aug. 24 after 4 p.m.
For Lakenheath Middle School, house listings will be posted after 5 p.m. on Aug. 24. Students will receive their class schedules on the first day of school during Home Base.
Lakenheath High School students will receive their class schedules on the first day of school. Students will be directed by teachers and staff to meet by year-group (freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors) for first-day orientation sessions and to receive their schedules.
School Lunch Program
As in prior years, the Army and Air Force Exchange Service will run the on-base school lunch program for DoDDS. Please ensure that you setup a lunch account for your child at either the RAFs Lakenheath or Mildenhall Base Exchange Customer Service area.
If you would like to apply for the Free and Reduced Lunch Program, please contact the School Liaison Office at DSN 226-5077/5078 or via e-mail at 48MSG.CCL@lakenheath.af.mil. If you qualified for this lunch program last year, you do not automatically qualify for this school year and must reapply.
Walking to school
Parents are asked to talk with their children about safety while walking to and from school. All students should be aware of Stranger Danger guidance.
Practice crossing the roads safely at designated areas. Volunteer crosswalk guards will be stationed on RAF Lakenheath at three crosswalk locations. If you are interested in serving as a crosswalk guard, please contact the School Liaison Office at DSN 226-5077/5078 or via e-mail at 48MSG.CCL@lakenheath.af.mil.
The Radcliffe Gate connecting the Lord's Walk Housing area to the Liberty Village Housing area near the youth center will be open this year for students and parents walking to and from school. The open hours for the Radcliffe Gate are 7:35 - 8:20 a.m. and 2:25 - 3:45 p.m.
Riding the bus to and from school
Students must be registered to ride the school bus and must carry their bus pass and child ID card (if over 10 years old). Bus passes will be distributed the week before school starts to your PSC box.
Please be mindful of bus safety and remember that in the U.K., traffic is not required to stop for loading and unloading school buses. Children should wait until the bus has moved on before crossing the street. An unruly bus is an unsafe bus, so strict behavior policies are in place for all students to obey.
For more information on school bus transportation, contact the School Bus Office at DSN 226-7013.
School Liaison Office
The School Liaison Office is a resource for any concerns related to military child education throughout the school year. The SLO can be reached at DSN 226-5077/5078, via e-mail at 48MSG.CCL@lakenheath.af.mil or stop over to the new SLO location in Building 950, the Airman & Family Readiness Center, on the ground floor nearest the chapel.
Best of luck to students and parents for a successful school year!