Col. Steven P. Collen is the Commander, 48th Maintenance Group, 48th Fighter Wing, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England. He leads a group of over 2,250 Airmen that performs organizational-level maintenance on 81 F-15C/D/E and HH-60 aircraft and all associated munitions and support equipment valued at over $4.1 billion to support a $270 million annual flying hour program. The group also leads centralized repair facilities to repair engines and avionics components for CENTCOM and EUCOM.
Col. Collen received his commission through the ROTC program at the University of Utah in 1995. He started his career as a Communications Officer in which he held various positions at Maxwell Air Force Base-Gunter Annex, Ala. In 1998, he cross-trained into Aircraft Maintenance and has held positions at the flight, squadron, group, MAJCOM and HAF level.
1994 Bachelor of Science degree in sociology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
1994 Certification in criminology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
1998 Master’s degree in human resource management, Troy State University at Montgomery, Ala.
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2015 Air War College, by correspondence
1. July 1995 - July 1997, process design team leader, HQ Standard Systems Group, Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex, Ala.
2. July 1997 - November 1998, project manager, Combat Ammunition System-Deployable, Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex, Ala.
3. November 1998 - October 1999, executive officer, 56th Logistics Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. October 1999 - July 2001, Flight Commander, 56th Propulsion Flight, Luke AFB, Ariz.
5. July 2001 - July 2002, Maintenance Supervisor, 56th Component Repair Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. July 2002 - May 2004, Officer in Charge, 18th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, Eielson AFB, Alaska
7. May 2004 - June 2005, Maintenance Operations Officer, 354th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Eielson AFB, Alaska
8. July 2005 - June 2007, Maintenance Operations Officer, 28th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
9. July 2007 - June 2008, student, Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
10. June 2008 - June 2009, Commander, 8th Maintenance Operations Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
11. July 2009 - July 2011, Commander, 49th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
12. July 2011 - May 2013, Chief, F-35 Logistics Branch, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
13. May 2013 - March 2015, Chief, ACC F-35 Logistics Integration, VA/F-35 JPO, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Arlington, Va.
14. March 2015 - March 2016, Deputy Commander, 455th EMXG, Bagram AB, Afghanistan
15. March 2016 - June 2017, Deputy, Maintenance Division, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. June 2017- present, Commander, 48th Maintenance Group, RAF Lakenheath, England
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with 5 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1995
First Lieutenant June 10, 1997
Captain June 10, 1999
Major November 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel September 1, 2010
Colonel December 1, 2016
(Current as of July 2017)