Col. John C. Stratton is the Vice Commander of the 48th FighterWing at Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England, the only wing in the Air Force with an official name, the “Statue of Liberty Wing.” The Liberty Wing consists of 5,000 active duty personnel, 2,000 British and U.S. civilians, and includes a geographically-separated unit at nearby RAF Feltwell. The wing employs three combat-ready squadrons of F-15E Strike Eagle and F-15C Eagle fighter aircraft.
Col. Stratton was born in Denver, Colorado. He received his commission in 1997 with a degree in political science from the United States Air Force Academy and earned his wings through the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training Program at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. Col. Stratton is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Weapons School at Nellis AFB, Nev. and the School of Advanced Air and Space Studies at Maxwell AFB, Ala. He holds a Master of Science degree in National Resource Strategy from the National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington D.C. and Master degrees in Military Strategy and Military Operational Art and Science from the Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
Prior to assuming his current position, Col. Stratton was the Chief, Joint Concepts Development Branch assigned to the Joint Concepts Division, Deputy Directorate for Future Joint Force Development, Joint Staff J-7, Suffolk, Va. He is a command pilot with more than 2,300 hours and a veteran of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and NOBLE EAGLE, and flew more than 135 combat hours in Operations IRAQI FREEDOM, NORTHERN WATCH, and SOUTHERN WATCH.
1997 Bachelor of Science, Political Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2005 U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Master of Arts, Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Ala.
2011 Master of Philosophy, Military Strategy, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Air University, Ala.
2013 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.,by correspondence
2017 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Washington D.C.
1. May 1997-January 1998, Casual Lieutenant, 557th Flying Training Squadron, USAF Academy, Colo.
2. January 1998-February 1999, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. February 1999-June 1999, Student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Randolph AFB, Texas
4. June 1999-January 2000, F-15C RTU Student, 1st Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
5. January 2000-February 2003, F-15C Wingman, Flight Lead, Mission Commander, Instructor Pilot, Activity Security Manager, 27th Fighter Squadron, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
6. February 2003-January 2005, F-15C Instructor Pilot, Flight Examiner, Chief of Scheduling, Flight Commander, 58th Fighter Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
7. January 2005-June 2005, F-15C Student, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. June 2005-July 2009, F-15C Squadron Weapons Officer, 44th Fighter Squadron, Wing Weapons Officer, 18th Operations Support Squadron, Assistant Director of Operations, 67th Fighter Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan
9. July 2009-July 2010, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. July 2010-July 2011, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. July 2011-August 2012, Strategy Branch Chief, HQ Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
12. August 2012-September 2013, Assistant Director of Operations then Director of Operations, 493d Fighter Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, England
13. September 2013-August 2014, Director of Strategic Plans and Chief of Staff, 9th Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force-Afghanistan, Kabul, Afghanistan
14. August 2014-June 2016, Commander, 493d Fighter Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, England
15. June 2016-June 2017, Student, Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
16. June 2017-July 2018, Joint Doctrine Development Officer, Joint Doctrine Analysis Division, Joint Staff J-7, Suffolk, Va.
17. July 2018-July 2019, Chief, Joint Concepts Development Branch, Joint Concepts Division, Joint Staff J-7, Suffolk, Va.
18. July 2019–Present, Vice Commander, 48th Fighter Wing, RAF Lakenheath, England
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2017-July 2019, Joint Doctrine Development Officer, Joint Doctrine Analysis Division, then Chief, Joint Concepts Development Branch, Joint Concepts Division, Joint Staff J-7, Suffolk, Va.
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: over 2,300
Aircraft flown: T-37, A/T-38, F-15C/D
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with 1 Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with 1 Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major Nov. 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2012
Colonel Aug. 1, 2018
(Current as of August 2019)