9/11: Running for Remembrance

  • Published
  • By Senior Airman Tiffany M. Deuel
  • 48th Fighter Wing Public Affairs
Gordon M. Aamoth. Katie Marie McCloskey. Andrew S. Zucker.

Every thirty seconds, a name is spoken, with each name representing a life lost to the attacks on 9/11. To honor their memory, Airmen and families participated in a 24-hour memorial run, ending at 1:46 p.m. on Sept. 11, 2011, followed by a tree dedication at Peacekeeper Park.

"The idea for the 24-hour run came about to tie more people into the event," said Master Sgt. Christopher Egbert, 48th Equipment Maintenance Squadron aerospace ground equipment production supervisor. "We started the run at 1:46 on Saturday so that we could end at the time the first tower was hit."

The event began with four runners, representing the two towers, field and pentagon. One runner carried a flag with the names of the fallen. While the distance each person ran varied, there was never a time when people weren't running during the 24-hour run.

"I ran 6 miles. It was important because I wanted to show appreciation to those who died on 9/11 and those whose family members and friends suffer", said Brian Smith, 48th EMS AGE journeyman.

Aside from showing appreciation and support for this tragic day in America's history, the event offered a chance to donate to charity.

"The event allowed us to collect pledges for Landstuhl Fisher House," said Egbert.

Landstuhl Fisher House provides for Airmen, families and patients receiving medical care at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, Landstuhl, Germany.

Some Airmen pushed themselves to their breaking points.

"I ran over 15 miles", said Airman 1st Class Alex Skaggs, 48th EMS AGE apprentice. "If my running can help raise money for those who lost their loved ones, then I would keep going until I collapsed and I did."

After the last person finished running at 1:46 p.m., the event wrapped up with a tree dedication ceremony, a moment of silence, personal stories and a few closing remarks from 48th Fighter Wing Commander Col. John Quintas.

Ten years later. Gone but not forgotten.