Colonel Sean E. Lowe is the Commander of the 48th Operations Group, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England. He is responsible for three combat-ready F-15 fighter squadrons, an operational support squadron, and 400 personnel capable of providing worldwide aerial dominance in support of war plans and contingency operations for U.S. Air Forces in Europe, U.S. Air Forces in Africa, U.S. European Command, U.S. Africa Command, and NATO.
Colonel Lowe entered the Air Force in June 1997 after graduating from The Citadel with a Bachelor of Science degree. He has served as a F-15E Instructor Weapon Systems Officer at four operational assignments, and has flown combat sorties in Operations SOUTHERN WATCH, ENDURING FREEDOM, and IRAQI FREEDOM. He is a graduate from the USAF Weapons School, the College of Naval Command and Staff, the Maritime Advanced Warfighting School and the Joint Advanced Warfighting School. Prior to this assignment, Colonel Lowe was the Chief of Strategy and Plans for U.S. Africa Command, Stuttgart Germany.
1997 Bachelor of Science, The Citadel, S.C.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 United States Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2007 Masters of Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
2008 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2010 Masters of Art, College of Naval Command and Staff, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2010 Maritime Advanced Warfare School, Newport Naval Station, Newport R.I.
2017 Masters of Art, Joint Advanced Warfighting School, Norfolk Naval Station, Norfolk, Va.
1. June 1997 – October 1997, OIC Equipment Maintenance Flight, 16th Maintenance Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
2. October 1997 – August 1999, Student, Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training, Pensacola Naval Air Station, Fla.
3. August 1999 – June 2000, F-15E Student, 333rd Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
4. June 2000 – July 2003, F-15E Evaluator, Scheduling Officer, 336th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
5. July 2003 – July 2004 Chief of Standardization and Evaluations, 494th Fighter Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, England
6. July 2004 – December 2004, Student, F-15E Weapons School, 17th WPS, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. December 2004 – July 2006, Chief of Weapons and Tactics/Flight Commander, 494th Fighter Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, England
8. July 2006 – July 2009, USAF Weapons School Instructor, Assistant Director of Operations, 17th WPS, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. July 2009 – October 2010, Student, College of Naval Command and Staff; and Maritime Advanced Warfighting School, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
10. October 2010 – December 2012, Deputy Chief, Strategy Division, 612th Air and Space Operations Center, Davis Monthan, Ariz.
11. December 2012 – May 2014, Director of Operations, 389th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
12. May 2014 – July 2016, Commander, 366th Operations Support Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
13. July 2016 – July 2017, Student, Joint Advanced Warfighting School, Norfolk Naval Station, Norfolk, Va.
14. July 2017 – July 2020, Chief of Strategy and Plans, USAFRICOM, Stuttgart, Germany
15. July 2020 – Present, Commander, 48th Operations Group, RAF Lakenheath, England
Rating: Master Navigator
Flight Hours: 2000+
Aircraft Flown: F-15E, F-15SG, A/T-38, T-39, T-1, and T-34
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Distinguished Flying Cross
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award
AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Iraq Campaign Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with 'N' Device
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1997
First Lieutenant June 1999
Captain June 2001
Major April 2007
Lieutenant Colonel July 2012
Colonel November 2018
(Current as of July 2020)