||Liberty Wing History
The Army Air Corps activated the 48th Bombardment Group (Light) January 15,1941. For the first two years of its life, as was the case with many of its sister units, the group and its squadrons underwent a series of re-designations and transfers to meet Air Corps operational needs. Designations changed from Bombardment Group (Light) to Bombardment Group (Dive) in September 1942 and again to Fighter-Bomber Group in August 1943. The squadrons were also redesignated as the 492nd, 493rd, 494th and 495th Fighter-Bomber Squadrons. The history of these squadrons lead to the squadrons that make up the 48th Fighter Wing of today.